CHS NorthEast History2018-01-23T21:21:32+00:00

CHS NORTHEAST HISTORY

For years Charles A. Cannon had listened to the wail of ambulances passing by his office window in Kannapolis, wondering if the patients inside were on their way north to Salisbury or south to Charlotte for hospital care. On the morning of July 26, 1937, those questions changed forever.

The ambulance carrying Mrs. Edna Walker of York Street in Kannapolis rolled south out of the Towel City that day, followed Highway 29 to Concord then veered left up the newly-paved drive to the entrance of Cabarrus County General Hospital. The county’s new hospital had just received its first patient.

The history of Carolinas HealthCare System NorthEast dates to the mid-1930s, when Mr. Cannon and his associate George A. Batte, Jr., led an effort to pursue more accessible and full-service healthcare for the wave of workers that Cannon Mills brought to Cabarrus County. The small, private “sick house” on Union Street was not able to accommodate the growing population.

The hospital opened in 1937 with 46 beds and 10 bassinets. Over the past 80 years, CHS NorthEast has evolved from a small, county-owned facility into an innovative, highly-accredited regional medical facility. Our mission is to improve health, elevate hope, and advance healing for all through the efficient operation of a comprehensive system which provides healthcare and related services, including education and research opportunities.

CHS NorthEast offers exceptional healthcare access to a six-county footprint through 457 licensed beds, multiple clinical services; a substantial inpatient/outpatient network; 381 staff physicians & over 4,000 employees.

  • 1937 – Cabarrus County Hospital opened
  • 1943 – School of Nursing was established with 16 students
  • 1952 – A new four-story addition opened at the newly named Cabarrus Memorial Hospital
  • 1991 – Hospital was reorganized as a non-profit organization
  • 1997 – Hospital began doing business as NorthEast Medical center to reflect its expanded position
  • 2007 – Merges with Charlotte-based Carolinas HealthCare system to become CHS NorthEast

COME VIEW OUR HISTORY WALL

In the left hallway before the gold elevators.